You are here
Stefan van Drongelen
Stefan van Drongelen
Dr. van Drongelen's research focuses on analysis of shoulder mobility.
After receiving his PhD at the Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, at the VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Dr. van Drongelen moved to the US where he did an internship at the Human Engineering Research Laboratories, at the VA Healthcare System in Pittsburgh.
He then moved back to Europe where he set up a movement analysis lab at the Swiss Paraplegic Research Center in Nottwil, Switzerland. In Switzerland he led a small group, performing clinical research on the biomechanics of wheelchair and handbike propulsion.
After Switzerland, Dr. van Drongelen moved to Heidelberg, Germany where in 2012 he joined a Gait Lab to work on a DFG funded project, designing and testing a powered knee-ankle-foot orthosis for support of elderly people.
Then in 2015 Dr. van Drongelen moved to the Movement Analysis Lab at the Friedrichsheim Orthopedic University Hospital in Frankfurt. In Frankfurt, his research focuses on upper and lower extremity movement analysis in arthrosis patients.
|Master of Science (MS):||1994 - 2000||
Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, VU
|PhD:||2001 - 2005||Faculty of Human Movement Sciences, VU
University, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
PhD thesis: “Upper extremity load during wheelchair-related tasks in subjects with a spinal cord injury”
- Mechanical load on the upper extremity during wheelchair activities. van Drongelen S, van der Woude LH, Janssen TW, Angenot EL, Chadwick EK, Veeger DH. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005;86(6).
- Glenohumeral contact forces and muscle forces evaluated in wheelchair‐related activities of daily living in able‐bodied versus subjects with paraplegia and tetraplegia. van Drongelen S, van der Woude LH, Janssen TW, Angenot EL, Chadwick EK, Veeger DH. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2005;86(7).
- Upper extremity musculoskeletal pain during and after rehabilitation in wheelchair‐using persons with a spinal cord injury. van Drongelen S, de Groot S, Veeger HEJ, Angenot ELD, Dallmeijer AJ, Post MWM, van der Woude LHV. Spinal Cord 2006;44(3).
- Is effective force application in handrim wheelchair propulsion also efficient? Bregman DJJ, van Drongelen S, Veeger HEJ. Clin Biomech 2009;24(1).
- Glenohumeral joint loading in tetraplegia during weight relief lifting: A simulation study. van Drongelen S, van der Woude LHV, Janssen TWJ, Angenot ELD, Chadwick EKJ, Veeger HEJ. Clin Biomech 2006;21(2).
- Ultrasound imaging of acute biceps tendon changes after wheelchair sports. van Drongelen S, Boninger ML, Impink BG, Khalaf T. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2007:88(3).
- Hand-cycling: an active form of wheeled mobility, recreation, and sports. Hettinga FJ, Valent L, Groen W, van Drongelen S, de Groot S, van der Woude LH. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2010;21(1).
- Shoulder load during synchronous handcycling and handrim wheelchair propulsion in persons with paraplegia. Arnet U, van Drongelen S, Scheel-Sailer A, van der Woude LHV, Veeger HEJ. J Rehab Med 2012;44(3).
- Load on the shoulder complex during wheelchair propulsion and weight relief lifting. van Drongelen S, van der Woude LHV, Veeger HEJ. Clin Biomech 2011; 6(5).
- Evaluation of Manual Wheelchair Performance in Everyday Life. van der Woude LHV, de Groot S, van Drongelen S, Janssen TWJ, Haisma JA, Valent LJ, Veeger HEJ. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation 2009:15(2).